Breaking News

Cricplex World Cup 2019

It Was Obviously Bitterly Disappointing Says Josh Hazlewood On WC Snub

“Not playing cricket for four months went against me. I can see their side of things."

Australian paceman Josh Hazlewood is very much disheartened on being ignored twice from the Australian 15-member squad for the upcoming World Cup. He was first not considered for selection in their preliminary squad as he was recovering from an injury and was then also ignored when they needed to replace the injured Jhye Richardson. In the Western Australian fast bowler’s replacement, Kane Richardson was chosen ahead of Hazlewood in the final World Cup squad.

It is being speculated that Cricket Australia (CA) are keen on preserving Hazlewood for the upcoming Ashes series against Australia. In order to retain the prestigious Urn, the visiting Australian team would be starting the Ashes battle against England with the first Test match scheduled to start from August 1 in Birmingham. Australian team management will definitely want the senior bowler to be fresh for the all-important Test series.

It only comes around every four years

During a recent conversation, Hazlewood opened up on his disappointment over not being included in the team for the upcoming World Cup. The fast bowler was part of the winning Australian side that played the last mega event at home. He stated that he is feeling very much disappointed as the quadrennial event only comes around once in every four years.

"It was obviously bitterly disappointing. It only comes around every four years. I was lucky enough to experience it on home soil last time. It'll probably hit me a bit once the tournament starts and you're watching on TV,” said Josh Hazlewood.

"It's pretty hard. It's not just a normal ODI series, it's a World Cup. Not playing cricket for four months went against me. I can see their side of things," he added.

Hazlewood, who is yet to represent Australia in ODIs since November last year, reckoned that he could make a surprise entry in case any fast bowler suffers an unfortunate injury during the upcoming 50-overs World Cup. "I guess if someone went down halfway through the tournament then my chances would be a bit better (compared to last week). You never know," entailed Hazlewood.

Hazlewood is named in the Australia A squad that will be touring England before the Ashes. "It will obviously mean I have a few more four-day games with the Dukes ball in England, so that's going to be fantastic for me. And [it will] probably put me a step ahead of a few other guys who are only going to get the one red-ball game before the Ashes," the Aussie paceman concluded.